Mayburgh Henge
Period: Prehistoric Date: Unknown
Location: Penrith
The monument is Mayburgh henge. It is located upon a low knoll of glacial drift a short distance from the confluence of the Rivers Eamont and Lowther, and includes a stone bank enclosing a flat circular area within which there is a large standing stone.

The bank is composed of water-worn stones presumably removed from the River Eamont, and varies in size between 33.7m wide and 3.8m high externally on the northern side, to 45m wide and 7.3m high externally on the southern side. There is an entrance 12.5m wide on the eastern side which narrows to 6.2m wide as it approaches the interior. The henge is virtually circular in plan with a comparatively flat internal area measuring 90m from north to south by 87.5m from east to west. Approximately 10m north west of the centre of the monument is an upstanding granite stone measuring 2.79m high by 1.82m maximum width, which is the only survivor of eight similar stones recorded within the henge during the mid 17th century; four of which stood close to the centre and four of which were located in the entrance. An axe-head of brass or bronze was reportedly found during ploughing of the monument's interior in the late 18th century, and about one hundred years later a broken polished stone axe of the Langdale type was found beneath the turf in the entrance. The monument is in the guardianship of the Secretary of State. Garden fences on the western side of the monument are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath them is included.

King Arthurs Round Table
Period: Prehistoric Date: 1000-2000 BC
Location: Penrith
The monument is a henge known as King Arthur's Round Table, thought to have been constructed between 2000 - 1000 BC. It is located on a comparatively flat alluvial river terrace a short distance from the confluence of the Rivers Eamont and Lowther, and includes a partly mutilated earthen bank and internal ditch enclosing a flat circular area.
The west arc of the bank is the more complete and measures 10m-13m in width by 0.5m-1.7m high. The short surviving length of bank in the east arc measures a maximum of 10.5m wide by 1.85m high. Elsewhere the bank has been levelled by road construction. There is an entrance 7.8m wide through the bank on the monument's southern side. This entrance becomes a causeway 3.7m wide across the ditch and gives access into the henge's interior. Between the bank and ditch is a berm up to 7m wide. The ditch has a regular broad U-shaped profile and measures 12.5m-16.2m wide with a depth of 1.4m-1.6m. The interior of the monument surrounded by the ditch is elliptical in shape, measuring 51.2m north east-south west by 44.1m transversely. Roughly in the centre is a low sub-oval platform up to 0.35m high and measuring 24m by 22.6m. Limited excavation of the monument during the 1930s located a trench containing cremated bone close to the centre of the henge. The monument is in the guardianship of the Secretary of State. All walls, gateposts, and the war memorial and its setting are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath all these features is included.
Little Round Table
Period: Prehistoric Date: Unknown
Location: Penrith
The monument includes much of the western half of Little Round Table henge. It is located on a comparatively flat alluvial river terrace between an escarpment to the west and the steep slope to the River Lowther to the east, and lies a short distance from the confluence of the Rivers Eamont and Lowther.
The eastern half of the henge would have extended across to the present river bank. No archaeological remains have yet been confirmed to survive on this side of the monument and hence it is not included in the scheduling. Faint remains of the henge include a low curving bank on the northern side which measures some 30m in length and is up to c.4.9m wide by 0.15m high. On the southern side of the site there are remains of a low discontinuous earthen bank with some stone visible, much reduced and spread to a width of 9.4m and up to 0.3m high. Antiquarian reports noted an outer ditch surrounding the enclosure and an entrance at the NNE. Limited excavation in 1939 across the projected line of the monument's northern perimeter located the outer ditch and found it to be V-shaped in profile and up to 4m wide by 2m deep. The entrance to the monument was also located during the excavation. In 1988 further survey work found the monument to measure 92m in diameter overall. All fences, walls, railings, gateposts, and the surface of a farmtrack are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath all these features is included.
Back to Henges